Once, the bathroom was a room that was not mentioned in polite company. Today, though, movies, shelter magazines, and websites show luxurious, high-tech, and highly-valued rooms that homeowners and buyers cherish.
According to the popular renovation site Houzz’s 2015 U.S. Bathroom Remodeling Survey, bathroom “remodels now rival kitchens in popularity,” The survey polled nearly 3,200 Houzz users who are in the midst of planning or have recently completed a bathroom remodel. Co-author of “150 Best New Bathroom Ideas’ Francesc Zamora Mola, the “bathroom is reinforcing its place ans an important room in a home,” and it rivals the bedroom for its value as a haven for relaxation and self-indulgence.
Some of the best ideas and trends for bathrooms and powder rooms include:
- Neutral and Minimal features: Keep design features minimal, and use a neutral color palette. For example, a color palette of cool grays and blacks accented with natural wood and plenty of natural light can create a spa-like atmosphere.
- Avoid clutter: Keep only necessities at hand, and use storage – think drawers and shelves – to stash items you don’t want to see on display. Elegant and relaxed is easier to communicate when there is open space.
- Keep it Light: Windows as large as you can imagine (without violating privacy), crystal lighting fixtures, and light surfaces keep things elegant and calming.
- Technology with a Gentle Touch: touch-sensitive taps, toilets that fully wash, dry, and deodorize, and more are the wave of the future. Radiant heat flooring and towel warmers are also becoming increasingly popular.
- Organization: An organized and and accessible bathroom means full enjoyment of all these features.
- Accessibility: Baby boomers are adding features such as grab bars and curbless showers.
Experts say bathrooms are the second costliest room in the home for renovations, so when you are planning to remodel, make sure you end up with a bathroom you’ll love!