Moving Tips That Will Make Your Life Easier!
While often exciting and joyous, moving is still one of life’s most stressful experiences. Here are a number of tips to simplify and lessen the burden a bit:
- Pack an overnight bag contain all the essentials. At the end of a day (or two!) of moving, you do not want to have to figure out which box has your toiletries and which has your clothes. You’ll want essentials such as these within easy access. Include your laptop in the overnight bag to eliminate the risk of damage or theft during the move.
2. Pack the items you need first in a clear plastic bin. This includes items such as your box cutter(s), paper towels, trash bags, eating utensils, select cookware, power strips, phone charges, bathroom tissue, tools, etc. The clear bin allows you to see all the essentials, and stands out amongst the myriad cardboard boxes.
3. Wrap your breakables(dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing (think T-shirts, pillow cases) to save on bubble wrap. Double packing points – clothes and kitchenware!
4. For extra padding, pack your glasses and stemware in clean (!) socks.
5. In addition to labeling what’s in your boxes, add to what room they’re going! E.g,, Kitchen: Tupperware and other food storage. When you begin unpacking, unpack by room; this will make the process more manageable. REMEMBER to label the SIDES of the boxes — not the tops — so you can identify them even when stacked.
6. Clean the bathrooms and kitchens before you unpack – or even before the movers arrive if possible. Put up a new shower curtain liner/towel racks/etc., and hang towels and stock bathroom tissue. The bathrooms will be a beckoning oasis after a long day of unpacking.
7. Open powder cosmetic lids and place a cotton ball or pad into them before closing to prevent breakage. For liquid containers, you can cover the openings with saran wrap, the replace the lids. This is a great travel tip as well!!
8. Pack plates vertically, like a stack of records, and place cardboard or washcloths in between each to lessen the chance of breakage.
9. If you are leaving dresser or other drawers full of items, keep them intact by covering them with Glad’s Press n’ Seal. Dresser drawers are like their own moving boxes! If you can do this, it keeps you from having to unpack and refold or organize the contents of the drawers.
10. Speaking of Press n’ Seal, it’s also great for keeping jewelry displays and organizers intact. Wrap away!